Whether it’s developing new products, processes or services — or making improvements to existing ones — research and development (R&D) can be common within the electricity, gas, steam, and air conditioning sector.
If you’re working on greener and safer electricity, gas, steam or air conditioning solutions, there are likely claims to be had. It’s not always easy to spot what kinds of things can be claimed, which is where we come in, to ensure no costs go amiss or are underclaimed.
Even if a particular advance has already been made or attempted by someone else, if the details are not readily available (it may be a trade secret), working to achieve that advance could still be eligible R&D.
R&D tax credits have the potential for you to stay ahead, anticipate customer demands and trends, and outpace your competitors. Even if your project completely fails, the scheme can still reward you for the attempt in the form of a reduced tax bill or lump sum. We’ve even helped clients reduce their corporation tax bill to zero.
Key questions on R&D tax relief answered
What activities can be included in a R&D project?
- Defining technical objectives
- Identifying uncertainties
- Feasibility studies, reviewing new and competing technologies
- Analysing, designing and developing the technology
- Producing technical specification or other documents to explain and support the R&D project and advancement
- Testing the product, process, service or software
- Planning and managing projects
- Administration, finance and personnel services specifically required to support R&D activities
- Training to support R&D
What expenditure can be claimed for in a R&D project?
- Staff Costs – Employee costs (salary, national insurance and employer pension) are apportioned for their time spent on the R&D project plus any reimbursed associated business expenses
- Software – Purchased for R&D purposes and costs apportioned for any subsequent use
- Subcontracted R&D – You can claim 65% of what you paid your R&D subcontractor
- Utilities & Consumables – Water, fuel, power and material used in the project
- Prototypes – Produced for R&D purposes
About Easy R&D’s R&D tax credit claim process
Claiming R&D tax relief is a niche.
Here at Easy R&D, we’ll probe your company’s activities to reveal the true extent of your company’s R&D.
Averaging £54,000 per claim, we’re a business built around expert tax professionals, skilled technical report writers, and flawless processes to ensure your R&D claims are successful — with maximum return. You could even reduce your corporation tax bill to zero.
HMRC’s criteria for claiming is purposefully broad, so what qualifies may surprise you.
Interested in claiming R&D tax credits?